Gmail notifications let you know when you have a new email. You’ll see a pop-up when a new message arrives so you can keep track of your mail even when you’re not looking at Gmail.
- Sign in to you Google account.
- In the right top corner, click on the gear icon and select Settings.
- In the General tab scroll down to Desktop Notifications and choose one of the options:
- New mail notifications on: If you use inbox categories, you’ll only be notified about messages in Primary.
- Important mail notifications on: You’ll be notified about every incoming messages marked as important.
- Mail notifications off
- Finally Save Changes at the bottom of the page.
Note: These notifications are available for Google Chrome, Firefox, and Safari.
- In the Gmail app, touch the menu .
- Touch Settings.
- Choose an account.
- Make sure that “Notifications” is checked.
- Touch Inbox sound & vibrate.
- Check Label notifications.
- Choose how you want to be notified.
- Go back to the previous page and touch Manage labels.
- Select an inbox label such as Social, Promotions, Updates, Forums, or Inbox.
- Check Label notifications and choose how you want to be notified about messages with this label.
- Go back to the previous page and repeat for the rest of the inbox labels if you see them in your list. Inbox labels are at the top of the list, but not all of them are used in your account.
With Android 4.1 and above, you can archive or reply to a message directly from a notification. If you don’t see these options for a single-message notification, expand the notification by swiping down with one finger.
Choose how you’re notified of incoming messages for the Gmail app for iPhone and iPad.
Set up notifications
By default, you’ll get notifications for messages in your Primary category, or Important messages for Priority Inbox.
Step 1: Choose which messages
- Open the Gmail app.
- Touch the menu.
- Touch the gear icon.
- Choose All Mail, Primary Only, or None.
If you have multiple accounts, you can change this setting for each account.
Priority Inbox users have Important Only instead of Primary Only.
Step 2: Choose how to be notified
- Open the Settings app on your device.
- Touch Notifications and then Gmail.
- Adjust your notification settings.
If you use the default inbox, “Badge App Icon” notifications reflect unread messages in your Primary category.